Nana Akufo-Ado, Ghanaian President has apologised to Nigeria over the demolition of the Nigerian High Commission building in Accra, the country’s capital recently.
The president gave the apology yesterday during a telephone chat with President Muhammadu Buhari, also said he had ordered an investigation into the incident.
A businessman, reportedly accompanied by armed policemen, stormed the Nigerian High Commission last weekend with bulldozers and destroyed structures under construction within the premises.
A statement by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said some suspects had been arrested in connection with the incident.
“President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana, on Tuesday, spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.
“In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he had directed full investigation into the incident.
“Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court.”The statement reads.
Also, House of Representatives Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila has said Nigeria needs to take appropriate measures against Ghana on the incident.
He also said individuals who trample on the diplomatic rights and privileges of Nigeria and Nigerians in foreign lands should be taught a lesson.
The Speaker, who spoke at a meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama, said Nigeria cannot continue to fold its hands while its citizens and assets in other countries are attacked by citizens of their host country.